Search the web with Google

Android install

Android installation weblog


Enter your email address:


Jeroen´s weblog

Ubuntu install

Ubuntu installation weblog


Tuesday, February 3, 2009

How to create a .deb file for stellarium

I would like to install stellarium 0.10.0 in Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex. The repos only offer 0.9.1.
I found a tutorial to compile stellarium and install it on any linux machine on the stellarium website itself. And I found a tutorial on how to create a .deb installation file.
The official way of creating a debian installationfile is found here. Withhout dpkg is found here.
I've tried to combine these tutorials. This is what it takes to do the job:

Tutorial 1

Tutorial 2

This is what I did:

First I installed the programm 'Checkinstall' from the repos. In a terminal type:

apt-get install checkinstall

Then I installed the build dependencies: Its explaned here

Ubuntu Intrepid and Linux Mint users can install all these dependencies in one go by running this command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libfreetype6-dev cmake libpng12-dev zlib1g-dev \
libglu1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev gcc g++ gettext libboost-dev libboost-thread-dev \
libjpeg-dev libboost-filesystem-dev subversion libqt4-dev graphviz doxygen qt4-designer

Extract the tarball containing the source code. Open a terminal and cd to the directory where you wish to build Stellarium. Save the tarball to that directory and do this command in a terminal (if you prefer, you might use arK or some other graphical archive tool):

tar zxf stellarium-0.10.0.tgz

You should now have a directory stellarium-0.10.0 with the source code in it.

In a terminal and change into the source directory:

cd stellarium-0.10.0
Make the build directory and change into it

mkdir -p builds/unix
cd builds/unix

Configure the build using CMake:

cmake ../..

By default this will configure Stellarium to be installed in the /usr/local area. If you want the standard Ubuntu location, use this option to cmake:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/share/stellarium ../..

Run make

make
Make the .deb with this command:

sudo checkinstall -D make install

This will create the .deb file and install the stellarium programm.The .deb file is placed in One thing isn't done properly. I still have to find out how that's taken care off. Stellarium isn't added to the menu. So add a shortcut in your menu to this file:

/usr/share/stellarium/bin/stellarium

This tutorial explains how to fine-tune the .deb file with extra installation scripts.


You can download my .deb file here: stellarium0.10.2.deb
The file is 43 megabytes and for i386 32bit ubuntu systems.

Please let me know if it works on your machine. I'm particularly interested if it works on other debian based distros. I only tested this file on Linux Mint 6. As that distro is based on Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, I expect it to work on that distro as well. If it works on other ubuntus, I'm not sure. Other Debian's I'm curious.



3 comments:

Djneri said...

Hi in http://stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Build_Dependencies said how i do insall qt4-dev in my linux but in last line said something that i donnot how to do that

This line:
1. After installation, you should write a script which sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH and then calls Stellarium.

Can you help me i'm new in these things.

Sorry my english i'm from argentina i donot write very good :(

Bye

Danny said...

hi Jeroen,
I tried it on debian lenny, and it worked, i had some trouble, but after i installed some packages with the synaptic package manager it worked quite well, thanks, you torturial is better than the one on the stellarium website.
thanks again,
danny

Jeroen said...

@Djneri
I am sorry, I read your post only today. But I cannot help you I'm afraid. I'm not good at writing scripts.
But your English is good enough for me though.

Post a Comment