Search the web with Google

Android install

Android installation weblog


Enter your email address:


Jeroen´s weblog

Ubuntu install

Ubuntu installation weblog


Sunday, September 27, 2009

NVIDIA troubles with legacy card

Issues I had to install my graphic card in linux Mint and in Ubuntu -Nvidia Rivia TNT2-

(On the Ubuntusite a very good article about Xrandr)

I can tell you installing the "right" driver for your graphic will boost your Ubuntu speed and also its appearance and it really becomes faster !

First of all I make a back up of my Xorg.conf like a good boy !
So here is how I installed my Nvidia TNT2 graphic card :
I first backed up my Xorg.conf using this command (you should really do that before installing any graphic driver program )
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
then I installed the driver using the menu , system--> adminstrator --> restricted driver manager ,then it automatically installed my graphic card.


How to make sure if the Graphic driver is installed and enabled ?

try this in a Terminal
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
and also this :
glxgears
this should show a 3D animation and also some numbers in the terminal like

1100 frames in 5.0 seconds = 219.997 FPS
1384 frames in 5.0 seconds = 276.788 FPS
1385 frames in 5.0 seconds = 276.896 FPS
1385 frames in 5.0 seconds = 276.849 FPS
1382 frames in 5.0 seconds = 276.397 FPS

if those numbers which I marked in red, are less than 1000 (like 150 , 300...) then you have not enabled / installed it right !

Ah , Low Screen Reolution Problem !
but after installing I found out my screen resolution is 800*600 and it doesn't let me change it . some others also have the same problem , and a bug is listed in launch pad for this !

the problem is the Ubuntu fails to detect the monitor Horizontal and Vertical Refresh Rate numbers, (on Ubuntu site they have explained this fix in detail) .
to fix this problem I do this (I have made backup of the xorg.conf ! okay?)
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(if you are in not graphic mode , you should use nano instead of gedit)

now find the Section "Monitor"
and add these lines just before EndSection :
HorizSync 30-96
VertRefresh 50-160

mind that those numbers (30-96 and 50-160) are default numbers which should work with most monitors ,but your monitor may be different , so google for it to find the right numbers.
for your own monitor .

now save the file and then restart your Ubuntu !

If you messed up your graphic in Ubuntu...
You no longer see any graphic but a black page with terminal (command prompt) ?
Don't get scared (terminal is not gonna bite you) , it is easy to recover , fix everything using commands .
cd /etc/X11/
Then
dir
this shows list of files in that folder
mv xorg.conf.backup xorg.conf
If your backup file name is different change xorg.conf.backup , for example
mv xorg.conf.backup20070404 xorg.conf

To find out the name of the back up file just look at the list of files which "dir" command gave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment